Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Guild class: Introduction to Handtools notes

Last Thursday, I attended the second class in the 10 part series. This one was on handtools. I found a lot of good information in the class. Especially when combining this class information with podcast, blog and magazine information. Here are some of the things that I found the most interesting.

  • The presenter prefers the Japanese style of marking gauge. With the wide fence and a knife instead of a pin for making the mark, this is better in his opinion. He finds the pin style to tear the fibers rather than slice them.
  • He also recommends Japanese chisels to Western chisels, he feels they stay sharp much longer. His suggestion is to go for a mid-priced set.
  • For old Stanley planes, he states that the chip breaker is really a blade stiffener. If it is tight to the blade and within a 32nd to the bevel that the original blades are plenty thick enough.
  • I learned what I was doing wrong when trying to put a cutting bur on my scraper. I was passing the burnisher along the length of the edge, whereas; I should have been performing a 'slide and pull' motion. This will pull the bur while rolling it.
  • Card scrapers come in different thicknesses. The thinner the blade the more gentle you can work with it.
  • He recommends the Lie-Nielsen Iron Miter plane for use with shooting boards.

No comments: