Friday, May 30, 2008

Why I ride

I got the idea for this from a post on Kent Peterson's blog discussing tire choices for Brevets. Sorry, but now I can't seem to find the article.

He talked about what is important to you in a ride determining tire choice. That got me thinking about what is important to me in a ride.

I have also thought about this topic after riding the Lewis County Historical Ride. I carried a lot of stuff and rode a touring bike which made for a heavier bike than most of the other riders. Also, most of the riders were in groups and rode in pace lines. I finished the ride last.

Did I choose the wrong bike? Should I have gone with a lighter one?

Upon reflection, I decided that I did not. I could ride a lighter bike and finish faster but that was not my goal. I could have rode in a pace line and gone faster but again, that is not what I want from a ride.

What I want from a ride is the following:

* I want to explore and see new things on a ride

* I want to be able to ride all day and be comfortable

* I want to get lost in thought

* I don't want to deal with mechanical details on a ride

* I don't need to be first, I am only competing with the clock and myself

* I want to see birds and animals and flowers

* I don't want to have to stop at a store on my ride (restrooms excepted)

With this in mind, I choose my bike well. I am comfortable and it absorbs the road vibration well.

I sit more upright and can see things easy. I can carry what I need to complete a ride.

My bike is reliable. Solo rides are fun for me. Looking at the back of someones tire is not my idea of an enjoyable ride, I would rather spend the extra energy to not have to pace line.

No comments: